11.2.09

Universal Design Principles — Do they exist?

The more that I think about design, the more relative it seems to me.

One may say that functionality is a universal design principle, but functionality is relative according to the user of design. Functionality simply means that something has use. In print design, every line, scratch, and pixel (even evil embellishment) is performing some function by reflecting light into our eyes which our brain interprets as a thought or feeling.

What someone really means when they say that good design is functional, is that the thing designed is performing the right functions. But, it seems that the concept of “the right functions” is too subjective to be meaningful. People are diverse in their preferences about how they want things to function. Some people get great pleasure from garden gnomes and cat calendars and would be bored to death with Vignelli calendars (although I personally prefer the Vignelli Calendar). The concept of the right functions seems as valid as the concept of “the right flavors” in food. Nepali cuisine only has the “right flavors” for those who have a preference for Nepali. Saying that one type of food is designed better than another is nonsense.

In my last post, I wrote about purpose, which I would say is a valid and universal principle as far as I understand. I would say that something is well designed if it accomplishes the defined goal of the producer. As I was thinking about this subject I found this quote from Milton Glaser:
“There is a certain arrogance in the idea that one can develop a universal methodology that works in every case for every person. It doesn’t make any sense. I have never been able to simply subscribe to the idea that any one principle, such as simplicity or reductiveness, can be universally applied to every problem. Life and people are too complicated. I must admit to one belief about design: first, you have to accomplish the intended task. Then, if you are lucky and talented, you may also create something extraordinary that goes beyond the objective task.”
So what is the point: the point is that universal design principles seem illusive and what most designers think are universal principles are probably their own subjective preferences and opinions about what is good and what is bad design. I wonder if anyone is as liberal as me in the class.

No comments: